Are there any problems when using uLink on linux?
  • I just heard unity is going to support headless linux clients. So, are there any problems when running the server on a linux? (Of course I'm also asking this because Amazon EC2 linux servers are cheaper than linux ones... :> )

Thanks in advance.
  • 6 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up1Vote Down mk26mk26
    50 Points
    If uLink is working fine for all platforms, then why my code is not working for iOS, while the same code is working fine for Mac and Windows client. Our server is on Amazon with headless Linux builds.
    See my issue on http://forum.muchdifferent.com/unitypark/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/5434

Any suggestion on it will be appreciated
  • Vote Up0Vote Down PatrickPatrick
    MuchDifferent Developer
    915 Points
    Hello Duality,

Since Unity announced Linux support we worked on ensuring that our tools would support it as well. uLink was first in line and we launched (somewhat silently) Linux compatible version little time after Unity themselves. We have performed a large amount of tests on Linux servers so I can with confidence tell you that it is safe to head that way.

Please feel free to report any issues found when doing so!

Cheers,

Patrick
    MuchDifferent Developer
    915 Points
    Accepted Answer
    Hello Duality,

Thanks to the release of Unity 4.2, you can now run your server on a headless host. See this thread for more details.

Cheers,

Patrick
  • I had a question about the game clients that need ulink. Black Eye game developers are making a game called Gloria Victis (MMORPG). They use ulink as their network tool, so the clients can talk back and fourth to the server. However they say they want to make a Linux client of their game, but the client side for ulink doesn't work on Linux. So they aren't able to do this. Is there any progress on making it work for a client side on Linux? Is this being done? I would hate to know that unity devs who use Ulink are unable to supply Linux versions because of this.

Thank you!
    MuchDifferent Developer
    915 Points
    Hello Orkultus,

To be clear, there is no difference between uLink used on the client or server side. As mentioned, uLink supports Linux so a Unity game developed with uLink for the Linux platform should work without problem.

If the developers are having issues with getting their game to work on Linux, it could be due to an issue that we are not aware of. I would happily dig into it if more details can be provided on this specific case.

Cheers,

Patrick
  • uLink on linux works perfectly for me, I'm using it with uZone & uLobby etc. on a cloudsigma server with ubuntu-server-x64

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tagged